Match Report: V AFC Wulfrunians (A)

By Harry Worgan

Saturday 30 March

Ten-man Ilkeston Town made it back to back away wins with a 3-1 victory at AFC Wulfrunians.

Jamie Walker scored either side of the break to put the Robins 2-0 up. They were reduced to ten men inside the final ten minutes when Lavelle White was shown a second yellow card.

The hosts made their extra man advantage count and substitute Charles Wilson pulled a goal back from the penalty spot in added time. But they could not find an equaliser and Ilkeston added a third when Elliott Reeves found the bottom corner with the last attack of the game.

Lee Fowler made one change to the starting XI that beat Long Eaton United. Deon Meikle replaced the suspended Tom Marshall in defence. New signings Kyle Perry and Rod Orlando-Young were both on the bench.

Both Walker and Fabian Smith had chances to put Ilkeston ahead in the opening 15 minutes but neither could hit the target. Up the other end Liam Mitchell did well to deny Jumaane Meggoe from point blank range after the ball dropped to him inside the area.

Ilkeston did go in front in the 20th minute. Reco Fyfe was blocked off as he looked to get on the end of Alex Marshall’s through ball and the referee gave a free kick. Walker stepped up and fired the free kick low and hard through the legs of Jake James and into the back of the net.

A free kick from just inside the Ilkeston half caused the Robins some issues before being scrambled clear and just after the half hour mark a cross from the right missed everyone on its way to being cleared for a Wulfrunians’ corner that came to nothing.

Ilkeston came close to a second with little over ten minutes to play when Fabian Smith rattled the cross bar with a free kick from 25-yards out.

In the final minutes of the half Meggoe dragged an effort wide of the post as Ilkeston maintained their one goal advantage at the half time whistle.

Less than ten minutes into the second half Ilkeston doubled their advantage. Elliott Reeves fired across goal and Walker was there to flick the ball past James.

The hosts then had several half chances but only managed to force Mitchell into a simple save. A free kick from the right was headed straight at the Ilkeston ‘keeper and was easily held.

Up the other end Reeves forced James into a good stop after managing to work some space to get a shot away. Walker headed a ball in from left just off target before the hosts thought they had a goal back. The ball was squared for Meggoe to tap in at the back post, but the assistant referee ruled it out for offside.

Kyle Perry had a free kick blocked at one end before Chris Sterling saw his pushed away by Mitchell at the other.

Ilkeston were then reduced to ten men after White was shown a second yellow with just over five minutes left in the game. Wulfrunians tried to make their extra man advantage count and came close. Captain Ben Jevons flicked a header onto the cross bar.

The hosts did get one back in the 91st minute. Chris Shaw was adjudged to have handled inside the area. Wilson stepped to smash home the spot kick. They continued to press for an equaliser but fell even further behind in the last attack of the game.

Kyle Dixon broke away down the left and squared the ball to Reeves who slotted into the bottom corner to confirm the win.

Starting XI: 1- Mitchell, 2- White, 3- Bennett, 4- Smith, 5- Meikle (Baker), 6- Shaw, 7- Fyfe (Dixon), 8- Hollis, 9- Reeves, 10- A Marshall, 11- Walker

Up Next: HOME vs Highgate United
Saturday 6th April
Kick-Off 3:00pm

Web Design by Wida Group