Match Report: V Highgate Utd (H)

By Harry Worgan

Saturday 6 April

Ilkeston Town remained three points clear at the top of the Total Motion Premier Division with a 4-1 win over Highgate United. Jermain Hollis opened the scoring for Ilkeston in the 29th minute and Reco Fyfe made it 2-0 in first half stoppage time.

Elliott Reeves made it 3-0 in the 67th minute, before Marco Addagio pulled one back for the visitors. With less than ten minutes to go the win was confirmed when Reeves added his second of the game.

Lee Fowler made three changes from the side that beat AFC Wulfrunians last time out. Tom Marshall replaced the suspended Lavell White at right back. Matt Baker came in for Deon Meikle who picked up an injury against Wulfrunians and Kyle Dixon replaced Billy Bennett who was injured in the warm up.

Ilkeston almost went in front inside the opening minute. A mistake in the Highgate defence allowed Alex Marshall to burst through on goal but his low effort was deflected wide of the post by the leg of ‘keeper Brad Catlow.

The visitors had a half chance in the 11th minute. Chris Shaw’s header back to Liam Mitchell was under hit and was seized upon by Stefan Moore but the Ilkeston captain got back goal side before being fouled by the Highgate forward.

Dixon forced Catlow into a good save before Shay Palmer headed a corner over the bar. Just two minutes later Ilkeston went in front. They did well to keep the ball alive and after several balls into the box it fell to Hollis who found the bottom corner.

Alex Marshall then had another chance to get on the score sheet. The ball came to the forward inside the six-yard box but his goal bound effort was blocked by a defender. Up the other end a block from Matt Baker was responsible for keeping out Moore after Mitchell parried a free kick into his path.

From the resulting corner Ilkeston countered and forced Catlow into another save. Elliott Reeves burst from several defenders and rolled in Dixon but his effort saved by the United ‘keeper.

The Robins did get a second right at the end of the half. Fyfe did well to bring the ball down under pressure inside the area. He then was able to get the ball out of his feet and find the back of the net to make it 2-0 at the break.

At the start of the second half Fyfe whipped in a dangerous ball but there was no Ilkeston player there to get on the end of it and Sam Oji was able to turn it over the bar.

The game seemed to level off until after the hour mark.

Reeves headed just wide at the back post before making it 3-0. He found some space on the edge of the box and curled the ball over Catlow and into the top corner.

Highgate had a goal back on 72 minutes. The ball came to Addagio who turned and fired into the bottom corner from seven yards.

Kyle Perry almost restored Ilkeston’s three goal cushion with ten minutes left. He rounded the ‘keeper but his touch took him too wide and instead of passing into the back of the net he was only able to role the ball across the box.

Perry was involved again just two minutes later as the Robins did make it 4-1. The striker held off a defender and after bringing the ball down he played in Reeves. He burst into the area cut the ball onto his left foot and slotted the ball into the back of the net to confirm the win.

Starting XI: 1- Mitchell, 2- T Marshall, 3- Dixon (Orlando-Young), 4- Smith (Piliero), 5- Baker, 6- Shaw, 7- Fyfe, 8- Hollis, 9- Reeves, 10- A Marshall (Perry), 11- Walker

Up Next: HOME vs Walsall Wood
Saturday 20th April
Kick-Off: 15:00

Web Design by Wida Group