Match Report: Vs Wolverhampton SC (FA Vase)

By Harry Worgan

Sunday 4 November

Ilkeston Town booked their place in the third round of the FA Vase, with a 2-0 win over Wolverhampton Sporting Community.

Reece Fyfe opened the scoring in the eighth minute. Sporting were reduced to ten men midway through the second half when Jak Barnes saw a straight red for a foul on Fyfe.

Substitute Alex Marshall slotted the ball into the back of the net in the 83rd minute to confirm the win.

The Robins started quickly and just a minute after Paulo Piliero fired just over from the edge of the area, they went in front. Jamie Walker’s cross was met by Fyfe who headed past Sporting ‘keeper Reiss Jeavons, for his first Ilkeston goal.

Fyfe nearly doubled his tally ten minutes later. He met another ball in from the left, but this time headed just over the bar.

The home side looked for a way back into the game after that, but never tested Liam Mitchell in the Ilkeston goal, with a number of free kicks being cleared comfortably by the visitors.

Ilkeston then had a great chance to double their lead ten minutes before half time, but Fyfe’s fizzing ball was turned behind for a corner, rather than being prodded home by one of several Ilkeston players, who had got into the Sporting box.

At the start of the second half Charlie Higgs wasted the home sides best opening, smashing the ball well over the bar. Up the other end the post denied Ilkeston a second goal. Tim Hopkinson lifted the ball over Jeavons, only for it to come back off the woodwork. Hopkinson was in again just a minute later, this time he was denied an effort at goal by a last-ditch challenge from Barnes.

Just ten minutes later the home side were reduced to ten men when Barnes was shown a straight red for a bad challenge on Fyfe, as the Ilkeston winger was bursting into the penalty area.

Ilkeston pushed to make their numbers advantage count. Walker put a great ball into the area but there was no one there to meet it. The winger then saw his long-range effort gathered by the Sporting ‘keeper at the second time of asking.

The Robins got a second goal seven minutes from time. A long ball forward found Malachi Lavelle-Moore, who unselfishly rolled the ball to fellow substitute Alex Marshall. He took it first time and slotted into the bottom corner to confirm the win.

There was still time for Ilkeston to come close to a third. Walker saw a swerving drive pushed away for a corner, which Tom Marshall rose highest to head goal wards, only for it to come back off the bar.

Up the other end the home side had not given up hope of getting back into the game and had an effort blocked before the follow up was put over the bar, as the final whistle confirmed Ilkeston’s place in the next round.

Starting XI: 1-Mitchell, 2-White, 3- Bennett (R Wheatley), 4-Shaw, 5- T Marshall, 6-Piliero, 7- Fyfe, 8-Dixon, 9-Reeves (A Marshall), 10- Hopkinson (Lavelle-Moore), 11- Walker

Up Next: AWAY vs Belper United (Derbyshire Senior Cup)
Wednesday 7th November Kick-off: 7:45pm

Web Design by Wida Group